Colorado is one of the most beautiful states in the country, offering a variety of terrains, stunning views and warm, friendly people. It’s a great place to visit, but it’s an even better place to find apartments for rent, condo or house for rent. Choosing the right place can be a challenge, so we’ve come up with five tips to help make it a little easier on you.
- Know your budget limits – Before you set out to find a home or apartment to rent, take the time to do some financial soul-searching. Make sure you have a very clear idea of how much you have coming in and what you can afford to pay out each month. Most experts recommend that you keep your rent and utilities within 30% of your monthly paychecks. That’s not to say you must spend that much, it really is dependent upon how much other debt you have and your other financial goals.
- Choosing a location – When it comes down to it, the most important thing to consider when looking for a place to rent is where it’s located. Take into consideration how close the property is to shopping, schools and your job. Also consider how safe the neighborhood and surrounding areas are, and how close-knit the community is. Spend a little time in the area, preferably on foot, at different times of the day to get acquainted with the area. It’s better to rule out a place than to settle in only to discover that it’s too loud at night or not safe to walk alone.
- Choose the right type of rental – In most areas of Colorado, you can find houses, apartments for rent, condos and even furnished executive rentals of all sizes and styles. Take stock in how you live and what kind of space you’re most comfortable in. For a single person, a studio apartment may be just right, but for a family, a house may be a better bet. Look at several options to find the one that suits your daily needs and personal taste the best.
- Prepare for scrutiny – Most landlords are going to want some references both from personal sources and past landlords. You’ll also have to provide them with proof of income and in some cases, a credit check and criminal background will be required. These are all fairly standard procedures that help to assure the landlord that you are a good choice for them to rent to.
- Understand the lease – Take the time to review every aspect of any lease documents presented by a prospective landlord. If there are any phrases, stipulations or other information that you don’t understand 100%, get clarification before you sign. Some of the most important things are the length of the lease and whether or not it’s renewable, late payment charges and whether or not you’ll have sublet options.
Finding the perfect apartment for rent or rental home is a lot like finding the perfect car. You have to take your time and consider how easily you’ll be able to make the rent payments, how well the place suits you, and how long you’ll want to stay.
Housing Helpers offers a free rental locating and apartment finder service in Colorado to help renters find their perfect home or apartment for rent in Colorado. Our rental locating specialists can help you narrow down the 1,000’s of rental choices in Colorado, let you know about the latest rent specials and leasing availability, to save you time and money. Give us a call today at 303.545.6000.